Historical Mapperley Park
Renowned for its architecture, Mapperley Park is synonymous with TC Hine, Henry Sully, and and Watson Fothergill, some of the great Midlands architects at the time. It is however a far lesser known architect William Beedham Starr, who is more responsible for the layout of Mapperley Park, and the houses that were built.
Mapperley Park was originally in the parish of Basford and the land was owned since the eighteenth centurty by the Wright family, succesful local bankers. The Wrights constructed and lived at Mapperley Hall until the 1870's when Mapperley Park Estate started to be sold off for development.
The estate was then developed by a variety of local architects & builders, with the majority of property built speculatively. Some of the grander houses were however built to order, notably Starr's own house, Northfield, at 470 Mansfield Road, Malvern House on Mapperley Road, built by Henry Sulley for lacemaker TB Cutts, and Watson Fothergills own home at 7 Mapperley Road (demolished in 1968 in true Nottingham fashion).
More to follow here...